National Reference Laboratory for Salmonella
8. May 2011
The NRL is accredited to ČSN EN ISO/IEC 17025 as a test laboratory and to ČSN EN ISO 15189 as a public health laboratory by the Czech Accreditation Institute.
Head: Daniela Dědičová, M.D., Ph.D.
The NRL was established by Prof. Raška in 1957 as the NRL for Salmonella (first headed by RNDr. PhMr. Dobromila Matějovská, CSc.) and its appointment as such was confirmed by the Ministry of Health of the Czech Republic on December 13, 1991.
- focuses primarily on the diagnosis of typhoid fever, paratyphoid fevers (caused by high-risk agents and toxins - HRAT) and other salmonelloses. NRL performs the identification of Salmonella strains including aberrant Salmonella strains from clinical laboratories and rare Salmonella isolates using both conventional and molecular biological diagnostic methods;
- performs confirmatory testing and serotyping of Salmonella strains referred from clinical and other laboratories
- together with the NIPH microbiology laboratories in Brno, they perform Salmonella typing for the epidemiological needs using both phenotypic and genotypic methods;
- monitors the serotype prevalence in human isolates in the Czech Republic, collects Salmonella isolates, and analyses their phenotypic and genotypic characteristics including antimicrobial resistance that is tested in cooperation with the NRL for Antibiotics;
- participates in the salmonellosis surveillance program pursuant to Regulation No. 275/2010;
- has been involved in updating the infectious diseases reporting system to EpiDat New (the interface will be designed to allow cooperation of epidemiologists at all levels of the public health protection system of the Czech Republic, including cooperation with microbiology laboratories and regional reporting subjects, and therefore specific methodical measures are to be taken);
- participates in two international external quality assessment schemes (EQAS for FWD laboratories and WHO Global Foodborne Infections Network EQAS);
- maintains the collection of Salmonella isolates and the database of the related data;
- cooperates with the Accreditation Department of the Centre for Epidemiology and Microbiology in the evaluation of the national external quality assessment schemes (EQAS) organized by the National Institute of Public Health.
- provides Salmonella strains for confirmatory diagnosis ;
- was appointed as the co-manager of the Epidemic Intelligence Information System (EPIS) for the area of food-borne infections within the ECDC project and participates in laboratory data reporting to The European Surveillance System TESSy (ECDC).