National Reference Laboratory for the Diagnostics of Syphilis
27. April 2008 | MUDr.Hana Zákoucká
The NRL is accredited to ČSN EN ISO/IEC 17025 as a test laboratory and to ČSN EN ISO 15189 as a public health laboratory by the Czech Accreditation Institute.
Head: Hana Zákoucká, M.D.
In 1965, the NRL then headed by MUDr. J. Langer was appointed as the reference authority in the area of the diagnosis of syphilis for Czechoslovakia. In 1970 through 2001, the NRL was headed by MUDr. Magdalena Knappová.
- Confirmatory testing of serum, plasma and CSF specimens reactive in the screening test for syphilis;
- Testing to rule out congenital syphilis, relapse after treatment, or re-infection;
- Participation in the syphilis surveillance programme in the Czech Republic in cooperation with the EU (The European Surveillance System, TESSy, ECDC);
- Passaging of the reference strain of Treponema pallidum subsp. pallium, Nichols;
- Methodical guidance for laboratories involved in the diagnostics of syphilis in the Czech Republic;
- Preparation of the EQAS for syphilis serology and evaluation of results;
- Pregraduate and postgraduate training of health care professionals;
- Cooperation with professional associations of the J.E. Purkyně Czech Medical Association (microbiology, epidemiology, and dermatovenereology);
- Testing in vitro diagnostic tools;
- Updating and developing novel methods for the diagnostics of syphilis;
- Implementation of molecular biological diagnostic methods for interdisciplinary consulting;
- Updating guidelines for diagnostic procedures.